Galaxy S5, Samsung’s crown jewel of 2014 has got its share of the new Android 8.0 Oreo. Now the users of Galaxy S5 can taste the Android Oreo. The latest version of the Android doesn’t come in the form of an official update and wasn’t expected either. Samsung appears to have adapted to the policy of releasing only two major updates and therefore, didn’t update the Galaxy S5 to even Nougat. However, since Android is open nature devs managed to release the Oreo update for Galaxy S5. All the users can now update Galaxy S5 to Android Oreo, thanks to folks at LineageOS. The team has managed to develop a custom ROM, LineageOS 15 which is based on the Android Oreo Kernel. With this update, the Galaxy S5 users can enjoy all the perks that come with the latest Android 8.0 Oreo.
The latest Android 8.0 Oreo comes packed with new features including Picture-in-Picture Mode, Adaptive Icons, Project Treble, Improved WebView API, Multiple Display Support and Improved Doze Mode. All these features were exclusive to only those devices which were running Android Oreo. Now with LineageOS ROM has made it possible for other users to taste their share of Android Oreo. You can easily update Galaxy S5 to Android Oreo and for your ease, we have provided all the necessary instructions and files, which you will be needing.
- Update Samsung Galaxy S6 to Android Oreo
- How to Fix Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Call Drop Issue
- How to Fix Samsung Galaxy A7 2017 Charging Issues
Installing a custom ROM is not recommended by the manufacturer. In case of mishap, AndroidOdex or the developer will not be held responsible.
- Make sure the bootloader of your device is unlocked. If not use this → guide.
- Create a backup of your data including pictures, contacts, and files.
- Charge the device to at least 60%.
- Head over to the link and Download Samsung Galaxy S5 USB Drivers.
- You must have Custom Recovery such as TWRP installed. Use this guide to install TWRP Recovery.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
How to Update Galaxy S5 to Android Oreo
- Transfer the downloaded files to the internal storage of your device.
- Now turn it off and boot it into recovery mode. To do so;
- Press and hold Power + Volume Up keys for few seconds.
- When the manufacturer logo appears, let go of the keys. You will end up in recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, tap on Wipe and select Wipe Data > Cache And Dalvik Cache via recovery.
- After wiping the data, navigate back to main menu and tap on Install.
- Select the ROM file you copied in the internal storage and initiate installation by swiping to right.
- Following the similar procedure install Magisk and GApps that you downloaded earlier.
- After flashing, reboot the device by tapping on Reboot > System.
Since it’s the first boot after installing a custom ROM, it will take some time. If you are having any issue regarding the method, let us know via comments.