When it comes to mid-range smartphones, Xiaomi Mi 5 beats all the rivals. It is the latest stylish device from the Chinese manufacturer, Xiaomi with specifications comparable to Samsung Galaxy S7. Though Mi 5 comes with high-end specs, comparable to Galaxy S7 but it doesn’t cost a fortune like Samsung’s flagship. On the software side, it runs Android and the good news is that you can now update it to Android 7.1.2 Nougat. This all comes with the latest Carbon ROM, which is released recently. In this guide, we will help you install Carbon ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5.
Carbon ROM is quite old and renowned custom ROM for Android devices but it vanished after the Android Kitkat. This could be due to the CyanogenMod, one of the most famous Mod. Now that CyanogenMod is out and replaced with LineageOS, Carbon ROM has made its appearance. With the Carbon ROM, now you can update your Xiaomi Mi to Android 7.1.2 Nougat, and enjoy all the latest Android features on your mid-range Xiaomi Mi 5. Aside from performance enhancement and stability, Carbon ROM gives you a number of customization options.
Don’t worry, if you are a newbie and do not know your way around with the custom ROMs, we have got you covered. For your ease, we have listed all the necessary instructions which will help you install Carbon ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5.
INSTALLING CUSTOM ROM is Not recommended by the manufacturer. IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, ANDROIDODEX or the Developer WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Use the link and download USB Drivers for Xiaomi Mi 5.
- Create a Backup of your data.
- Your device must have an Unlocked Bootloader. (Here’s how you can Unlock Bootloader of Android Devices).
- Charge your device to 60%, at least.
- Enable USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Menu > Settings > Applications.
- Tap on Developer Options and then on USB Debugging to enable it.
How to Install Carbon ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5
- Head over to the link and download Carbon ROM file for your Xiaomi Mi 5.
- Now use this guide to Install TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 5.
- Connect your Xiaomi Mi 5 to PC via USB cable.
- Copy the Carbon ROM file you downloaded following the first step to the SD Card.
- Now disconnect your device from PC and turn if Off.
- Press and Hold Power + Volume Up keys at the same time to boot the device in Recovery Mode.
- When the Mi logo appears, let go of Power key.
- In recovery mode, select Wipe and then mark every option except SD Card.
- Then swipe to perform the Factory reset on Xiaomi Mi 5.
- Now navigate back to the main menu and tap on Install.
- Select the Carbon ROM file you copied in SD card and swipe on ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash‘ option.
- When the installation completes, return to the main menu and tap on Reboot > System.
Since it is the first boot after flashing the custom ROM, it will take about 5 minutes. That’s it.
If you have any question related to the method, let us know in the comments.