At an event held in China last week, Xiaomi launched the trio of its Mi 8 devices. Alongside the official launch of Xiaomi Mi 8, Mi 9 Explorer Edition, and Mi 8 SE, the manufacturer, surprisingly released the much-awaited MIUI 10 Developer ROM. With MIUI 10, Xiaomi has taken a different approach. Instead of relying only on the performance, this time, it has focused the UI to an equal extent. The new MIUI 10 redesigns almost everything including the lock screen, quick settings, volume panel, and recent apps. Xiaomi has already started rolling out the ROM to selected devices in China and a global rollout is expected soon. If you a Xiaomi user, you can now install MIUI 10 on Xiaomi devices. However, note that, at the moment, MIUI 10 is headed only to Xiaomi Mi Mix 2/2S, Xiaomi Mi 5/6, Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro, and Xiaomi Mi Note 2.
If we dive into the details and inspect the changes, the improvements appear to be in every department. Starting with the new AI feature that Xiaomi is highlighting, it includes AI Preload and AI Portrait, which basically use a single sensor to capture the shots, a feature exclusive to Google Pixel devices until now. The revamped Recent Page is another improvement that you will notice. It lines up the opened apps vertically in two columns and gives you an overview in a single window. Similarly, on the performance side, Xiaomi has used an improved AI Preload feature. It monitors the activity of a user and load apps in the background to reduce the app-loading time.
The new MIUI 10 brings swipe gestures which appear to be inspired from the iPhone X. And just like Googe Assistant, Xiaomi has announced its own virtual assistant which will offer updates on traffic and will perform tasks against voice commands. The MIUI 10 update has been one of the most awaited announcements and now that it has been officially launched, you can install MIUI 10 on Xiaomi devices.
- Install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot on Android Devices
- Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
Now before you go for the installation, note that Xiaomi has made the Chinese Beta ROM available and the stable release is still a couple of months away. We were able to get out hands on the following ROMs as a result of a leaked that included the ROM files. These were meant for testing and therefore, is not recommended if you’re a newbie or doesn’t know your way around.
The provided ROM files are meant for beta testing and are not part of the stable release. In case of any mishap, AndroidOdex will not be responsible.
- Create a backup of your data including pictures, contacts, and files.
- Charge the device to at least 60% to avoid an accidental shutdown.
- Head over to the link and Download Android USB Drivers.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- You will need a Xiaomi device with an unlocked bootloader. Use this link to unlock bootloader on your Xiaomi device.
- Head over and install ADB on your PC/Laptop.
- Use the following links to download the right TWRP recovery image for your Xiaomi device.
- Download GApps using this link.
- Now download the right MIUI 10 ROM file for your Xiaomi device using the following links.
How to Install MIUI 10 on Xiaomi Devices
- Transfer the MIUI 10 ROM file and the Gapps package to the SD Card of your Xiaomi device.
- First, you need to install the TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi device, so that you can flash the ROM file.
- Turn Off your Xiaomi device.
- Next, press and hold the Power + Volume Down keys and boot the device into fastboot mode.
- Connect your device to your PC via a USB cable.
- Now open Command Prompt or Windows Power Shell and execute the following command;
fastboot boot /path/to/twrp.img
- In the above command, replace /path/to/twrp.img with the actual filename and the location where you stored the twrp img file.
- This will install the twrp recovery on your Xiaomi device.
- Now press and hold Power + Volume Up keys to boot into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, tap on Wipe and swipe to factory reset to perform a factory reset.
- Navigate back to the main menu of twrp and tap on install.
- Here, select the MIUI 10 ROM file that you copied earlier and flash it.
- Following the same procedure, flash the GApps package.
- Once the flash processes complete, tap on Reboot > System to reboot the device.
- That’s it.
Experience the new MIUI 10 on your Xiaomi device and don’t forget to share your thoughts on it with us.