The release of the latest version of Android was something we all were looking forward to. The moment Google released the Android 8.0 Oreo, the devs started tweaking. In a matter of weeks, we received custom ROM‘s for various devices. Among many sources is LineageOS, a renowned Custom ROM’s for Android handheld devices. Soon after the release of Android Oreo, LineageOS 15 started to pave its way for various devices. The latest device to receive its share of LineagOS 15 is Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S2. What this means is that now you can enjoy the exclusive features of Android Oreo on your Galaxy Tab S2. For your ease, we have provided the detailed method as to how you can install Android Oreo on Galaxy Tab S2.
Galaxy Tab S2 was released back in 2015 and was revised by in the next year. It was released with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow and was updated to Android 7.0 Nougat. However, we are not certain whether Samsung will release the Oreo update for Galaxy Tab S2 or not. Therefore, if you are eager to install Android Oreo on Galaxy Tab S2, LineageOS 15 is your best option. To give you are a quick recap of specs, Galaxy Tab S2 comes with a 9.70-inch display, 1.3GHz octa-core processor, 3GB RAM, 32GB of internal storage and a 5870mAh non-removable battery. As for the camera, Galaxy Tab S2 packs an 8-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 2.1-megapixel front shooter for selfies.
- How to Root Android Devices Using CF Auto Root
- How to Install Netflix on Rooted Android Device
- Update Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 and 9.7 to Android 7.0
LineageOS 15 is in the early stages and is being improved as the days goes by, however, even at this early stage, it has most of the Oreo features working. These include WiFik, Bluetooth, Video Playback, Audio, Sensors, and GPS. The devs at LineageOS are working to make it better. Meanwhile, if you want to install Android Oreo on Galaxy Tab S2, follow the instructions without further ado.
INSTALLING A CUSTOM ROM IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND A SLIGHT MISTAKE COULD BRICK YOUR DEVICE.
DO RESEARCH BEFORE PROCEEDING. IN CASE OF ANY MISHAP, ANDROIDODEX OR THE DEVELOPER WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE.
- Make sure the bootloader of your device is unlocked. If not use this guide and unlock it.
- Create a backup of your data including pictures, contacts, and files.
- Charge the device to at least 60% to avoid an accidental shutdown.
- Head over to the link and Download Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 USB Drivers.
- You must have Custom Recovery such as TWRP installed. Use the twrp file (official TWRP won’t work) provided in the download section and this guide to install TWRP Recovery.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- TWRP file for Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 → Download
- Android 8.0 Oreo Builds for Galaxy Tab S2 → Download
- GApps → Download
Install Android Oreo on Galaxy Tab S2 via LineageOS 15
- Move the downloaded files to the internal storage of your device.
- Now turn it off and boot it into recovery mode.
- To do so, press and hold Power + Volume Up keys for few seconds.
- When the manufacturer logo appears, let go of the keys. You will end up in recovery mode.
- Here, if you want to create a Nandroid and EFS backup. Do so and then move it to the PC. If not jump to step 7.
- Again reboot the device in recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, tap on Wipe and select Wipe Data > Cache And Dalvik Cache via recovery.
- After wiping the data, navigate back to main menu and tap on Install.
- Select the LineageOS 15 ROM file you copied in the internal storage and initiate installation by swiping to right.
- Following the similar procedure install GApps that you downloaded earlier.
- After flashing, reboot the device by tapping on Reboot > System.
Since it’s the first boot after installing a custom ROM, it will take some time. Here’s a link to the official forum if you want to interact with the developer.