Xiaomi Mi 4 belongs to the Xiaomi’s famous mid-range smartphone series and was released in 2014. To give you a quick review, Xiaomi Mi 4 comes with a 5-inch 1080p display. It runs quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 system chip clocked at up to 2.5GHz, has 3GB of RAM, 16 GB internal storage, and a sizable 3080 mAh battery. Like it’s predecessor Mi 3, Xiaomi Mi 4 too was released with Android 4.4 KitKat. If you have a Xiaomi Mi 4 and are looking to get rid of it, we suggest you think again. Due to the efforts of XDA’s senior member vasishath, now you can install Android Oreo on Xiaomi Mi 4. The features of the Android’s latest version can be enjoyed by installing the AOSP ROM that has been developed by vasishath. In this guide, we will show you how you can install Android Oreo on Xiaomi Mi 4 via AOSP ROM.
It is basically a Custom ROM that lets you enjoy the features of Android 8.0 Oreo on your mid-range Xiaomi Mi 4. At this point, you might be thinking about the performance of your device as installing the latest Android features could slow it down. To clear this confusion, since you are installing a Custom ROM on your device, the performance won’t be affected. In fact, custom ROM’s improves the performance of your device. Visashath has managed to develop the AOSP ROM that refers to unmodified ROM’s or code from Google using Android open source project. With AOSP ROM you can easily install Android Oreo on Xiaomi Mi 4 and here we will guide to do so.
You Might Like;
- Update Xiaomi Mi 3 to Android Oreo using AOSP ROM
- Install Carbon ROM On Xiaomi Mi 5 [Custom ROM]
- Install Nemesis ROM on Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus
Before we get to the installation section, there are few things that you should do such as unlocking the bootloader and installing a Fastboot and ADB tool on your PC. For your ease, we have covered the links to those as well. While installing Android Oreo on Xiaomi Mi 4, you must follow the instructions carefully otherwise you will brick your device.
INSTALLING CUSTOM ROM IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER. IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, ANDROIDODEX OR THE DEVELOPER WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Your device must have an Unlocked Bootloader. (Here’s how you can unlock the bootloader).
- Head over to the link and Download Android USB Drivers.
- Use the link to setup ADB or Fastboot tool on your PC.→ Link
- Make sure to Backup your Data as the mentioned process will wipe the data.
- Charge your device to at least 60%.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- AOSP ROM → Download (copy it to SD Card)
- GApps Package → Download
- TWRP Recovery → Download (rename it to twrp.img)
How to Install Android Oreo on Xiaomi Mi 4 via AOSP ROM
- Connect your Xiaomi Mi 4 device with the computer via a USB Cable.
- Go to the directory where you have Fastboot and ADB installed and type cmd in the address bar to open the command prompt.
- In the command window type the following command and press Enter;
- adb reboot bootloader
- It will boot the device into bootloader mode.
- Once your phone is in bootloader mode, simply execute the following command;
- fastboot boot twrp.img
- Above command will install the twrp recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 4.
- Next, turn Off your Xiaomi Mi 4.
- Press and hold Power + Volume UP + Home buttons to boot your device into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, select Wipe > Advance Wipe, select everything except SD card and wipe.
- Navigate back to the main menu and select Install.
- Locate the AOSP file you downloaded, select it and install.
- When the installation completes, tap on Reboot > System.
- That’s it.
In case you have queries, let us know via comments.