A new ROM has surfaced online for the OnePlus 5T! Thanks to the developer NoSpamDan, Candy 8.1 ROM on OnePlus 5T has been released on xda and is available for download. Unlike the many other ROMs available, this ROM is built from scratch code, meaning it comes with almost zero bugs, and is best suited for people who need a ROM full of performance. If you are interested, then follow our guide to learn how you can Install Candy 8.1 ROM on OnePlus 5T.
The OnePlus 5T was released not even 6 months after the release of the OnePlus 5. The reason being that OnePlus missed out on the entire buzz about the bezelless displays. To counter this, they released the OnePlus 5T for the same price (in some regions) as the original, but with a new and gorgeous 18:9 display. The cameras also got a pretty controversial upgrade as well, performing a bit better in low-light, but with the compromise of losing the telephoto lens.Everything else about the 5T is exactly similar to the OnePlus 5. The same powerful Snapdragon 835, 6 or 8 gigabytes of LPDDR4 RAM, and so on and so forth. The build, apart from the new display has also remained the same. A full unibody metal build, with the traditional alert slider, USB C, and of course, a headphone jack. OnePlus 5T was originally released with Android Nougat out of the box, based on OxygenOS 4.5.x but soon got updated to Android Oreo, in the disguise of OxygenOS 5.x.
The ROM aims at providing the best custom experience to its users, and hence is built from scratch. It does have a few inspirations taken from LineageOS, so it does have the same stock experience, but it does so with a bunch of useful features as well. Some of the many are mentioned below:
- Volume buttons up/down for Do Not Disturb
- Swap volume buttons on rotation
- Volume keys control media volume (or the default ringtone/notification volume)
- Long press volume playback control
- Screen off power button torch (double press and long press)
- Battery charging light customizations
- Notification light customizations
- Double tap to sleep on lock screen
- Show media cover art
- Ambient Music Ticker (artist/track info)
- ontrol status bar items
- Double tap to sleep on status bar
- Less annoying heads-up mode
- Statusbar notification ticker
Although OnePlus claims that the users still retain their device’s warranty, we strictly advice you not to proceed with the guide unless you are an Android enthusiast wanting the most out of your device. If you don’t already have a OnePlus 5T with an unlocked bootloader, and with a custom recovery like TWRP installed, then we have dedicated guides on the following as well :
AndroidOdex is not responsible for any kind of mishap that occurs to your device in the midst of the process. Our guides are well researched and aptly written, and we advice you to give them a good read before carrying out the procedure.
- This guide is specifically made for the OnePlus 5T. Trying this on other devices might result in a hard brick.
- Ensure your device has atleast 60% of battery to prevent shutdowns in the middle of the procedure.
- Flashing a custom ROM requires you to wipe your data partition, so make sure you have your apps and data backed up prior to the procedure.
- We recommend you use the original data cable supplied by the OEM to connect your phone to your PC and transfer the required files.
How to Install Candy 8.1 ROM on OnePlus 5T
- Transfer the ROM file to the root of your internal storage.
- Reboot your phone into the recovery mode by pressing and holding Power + Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
- Swipe to allow modifications in TWRP Recovery.
- From the main menu, tap on Install and navigate to the zip file you’ve just transferred.
- Tap on it, and swipe to confirm the flash.
- Additionally, you may flash GApps to gain Play Services and all the goodies.
- The process takes a good second, and once done don’t forget to wipe cache.
That’s all! You’ve successfully installed Candy 8.1 on your OnePlus 5T. What’s next? Browse through our website’s OnePlus 5T archives to install some custom ROMs as well. If you had any issues in following our guide on How to install Candy 8.1 ROM on OnePlus 5T, then feel free to hit us in the comments section below.