Shortly after the release of Xperia Z2, Sony launched Xperia Z3 and Z3 compact. While Xperia Z3 was a successor to Xperia Z2, Xperia Z3 Compact was in no way less than Sony’s other flagships. Unlike other minis, Xperia Z3 Compact was launched with high-end specs. Both the devices were released running Android 4.4.2 KitKat and never passed the Marshmallow update. Since both the devices Android OS, there is always a way to taste its latest version. If you own any of these Xperia devices, you can now taste the latest Android 8.1.0 Oreo via custom ROMs. Here, we will help you install Carbon ROM on Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact.
The basic design of both, the Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z3 Compact is pretty much similar. However, being the mini, Z3 Compact lags behind, in terms of specs. As for the ROM, Carbon ROM is based on Android 8.1.0 Oreo, which means you will get your hands on the latest Android features. Custom ROMs help you make the most of your Android device and push the boundaries of performance. The best thing about Carbon ROM is that it keeps the balance between the performance and the features.
- Fix Battery Drain in Xperia devices due to Android OS
- Root Xperia XA Ultra Running Android 7.0 Nougat
- Update Sony Xperia Z2 to Android Oreo with Carbon ROM
Android enthusiasts prefer to make the most out of their devices and custom ROMs are one way of doing it. You can easily install Carbon ROM on Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact devices, given the instructions. However, if you are new to these things, we advise you to research before you proceed.
INSTALLING A CUSTOM ROM IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER. IN CASE OF MISHAP, ANDROIDODEX OR THE DEVELOPER WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE.
- Make sure the bootloader of your device is unlocked. If not, use this → guide.
- Create a backup of your data including pictures, contacts, and files.
- Charge the device to at least 60%.
- Head over to the link and Download Android USB Drivers.
- You must have Custom Recovery such as TWRP installed. Use these links to download TWRP for Xperia Z3 and TWRP for Xperia Z3 Compact and this guide to install TWRP Recovery.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- Carbon ROM file for Xperia Z3. → Download
- Carbon ROM file for Xperia Z3 Compact. → Download
- GApps. → Download
How to Install Carbon ROM on Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact
- Transfer the downloaded file to the internal storage of your device.
- Now turn it off and boot it into recovery mode. To do so;
- Press and hold Power + Volume Up keys for few seconds.
- When the manufacturer logo appears, let go of the keys. You will end up in recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, tap on Wipe and select Wipe Data > Cache And Dalvik Cache via recovery.
- After wiping the data, navigate back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and tap on Install.
- Select the ROM file you copied in the internal storage and initiate installation by swiping to right.
- Following the similar procedure install GApps that you downloaded earlier.
- After flashing, reboot the device by tapping on Reboot > System.
Since it’s the first boot after installing a custom ROM, it will take some time. If you are having any issue, let us know in the comments.