You can now grab the latest builds of the new Helix Kernel on OnePlus 5, thanks to the developer Mostafa Wael. This Kenel is built on top of the much reputed Render Zenith Kernel, and is available to download over at the xda thread. If you are interested in downloading and installing the Helix Kernel on OnePlus 5 then you are in the absolutely correct place!
The OnePlus 5 was released in July 2017, and was indeed one of the most rock-solid devices to have existed around that time, before it was over-shadowed by its own successor, the OnePlus 5T. The OnePlus 5 sports the latest in-grade flagship specifications, like the Snapdragon 835, 6 or 8 insane gigabytes of RAM, 128 GB of super fast UFS 2.1 storage, and a pretty respectable dual camera setup. The phone also had the OnePlus-specific goodies like the alert slider, the fastest fingerprint scanner in any mobile device, and came pre-loaded with the amazing OxygenOS software. The phone currently runs Android Oreo, atop OxygenOS 5, and is guaranteed to be update to Android P whenever it becomes mainstream.
This kernel is based off the much famous Render Zenith build, and hence is aimed for the people who like a balanced experience with great battery life and a snappy performance. A good thing to note is that this kernel is built only for the stock Nougat versions of OxygenOS, so if you’re running atop any other build or ROM, you’re blandly out of luck. If however you do have the Nougat builds, then here are a few of the features this kernel provides!
- Based on the wonderful RenderZenith kernel
- Up-to-date with latest EAS changes, as long as they are stable enough (currently at EAS r1.4)
- Built with Linaro 6.3.1
- Added support for a new experimental governor pwrutilx, in an attempt to improve battery life
- Added support for Wake Gestures, Sound Control, KCAL Control and LED Control
- Merged as much as possible from Google’s latest Pixel devices
If you are already keen to install this kernel, then follow ahead! Although OnePlus claims that the users still retain their device’s warranty, we strictly advice you not to proceed with the guide unless you are an Android enthusiast wanting the most out of your device. Before you begin, make sure you have an unlocked bootloader, as well as a custom recovery like TWRP installed on your OnePlus 5. Additionally, you may gain root access by flashing Magisk or SuperSU as well.
AndroidOdex is not responsible for any kind of mishap that occurs to your device in the midst of the process. Our guides are well researched and aptly written, and we advice you to give them a good read before carrying out the procedure.
- This guide is specifically made for the OnePlus 5. Trying this on other devices might result in a hard brick.
- Ensure your device has atleast 60% of battery to prevent shutdowns in the middle of the procedure.
- Flashing a custom kernel doesn’t require you to wipe your data partition, but we still recommend you to have your apps and data backed up prior to the procedure.
- We recommend you use the original data cable supplied by the OEM to connect your phone to your PC and transfer the required files.
How to Install Helix Kernel on OnePlus 5
- Transfer the Kernel file to the root of your internal storage.
- Reboot your phone into the recovery mode by pressing and holding Power + Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
- Swipe to allow modifications in TWRP Recovery.
- From the main menu, tap on Install and navigate to the zip file you’ve just transferred.
- Tap on it, and swipe to confirm the flash.
- The process takes a good second, and once done don’t forget to wipe cache.
That’s all! You’ve successfully installed Helix Kernel on your OnePlus 5. What’s next? Browse through our website’s OnePlus 5 archives to install some custom ROMs as well. If you had any issues in following our guide on How to install Helix Kernel on OnePlus 5, then feel free to hit us in the comments section below.