OnePlus 6 has given quite the competition to the big names such as Samsung and Sony. Since it’s official release, enough time has passed by to enable developers to come up with custom AOSP-based ROMs. Since OnePlus 6 supports Project Treble, XDA developer phhusson was able to release build of LineageOS 15.1. At the moment, the build is in the experimental stage and some of the features do not work. Also, due to the dual A/B partition might delay the development. In the meanwhile, if you want to make the most of your device, you can do so by installing unofficial LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus 6. You will, however, need a custom Recovery such as TWRP to install the build on the device.
Although it is quite easy to install a custom ROM such as LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus 6, there are few things to note. Since the build is at the experimental stage, you may come across issues while flashing them on your OnePlus 6 device. Therefore, you will have to follow a specific set of instructions to flash the build properly. While the build may have a different a slightly tricky flash procedure, it is OpenGApps integrated. A custom ROM is where you can push the boundaries of your OS.
Although LineageOS has been around for quite some time now and has improved a lot, there are few things that won’t work when you install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus 6 but that’s because the build is in the experimental stage. Now before you proceed with the instructions, we advise you to do your research or else you could end up with a bricked device.
INSTALLING A CUSTOM ROM IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER. IN CASE OF MISHAP, ANDROIDODEX OR THE DEVELOPER WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- Create a backup of your data including pictures, contacts, and files.
- Charge the device to at least 60% to avoid an accidental shutdown.
- Head over to the link and download Android USB Drivers.
- Make sure the bootloader of your device is unlocked. If not use this guide and unlock it.
- You must have a Custom Recovery such as TWRP installed. Use this Link to download and install TWRP Recovery on your OnePlus 6 device.
- LineageOS 15.1 for OnePlus 5. → Download
How to install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus 6
- Head over to this link and set up ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Next, connect your device to your PC via a USB cable.
- Then on your PC, navigate to ADB folder and enter cmd in the address bar to launch Minimal ADB & Fastboot on your PC. Mac and Linux can simply launch the Terminal window and start using ADB.
- Now type the following command in ADB and reboot your OnePlus 6 into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once in fastboot mode, type the following commands to flash the required files.
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
- Here use the Stock boot image and then flash the GSI system image of your choice using the following commands.
fastboot flash system_a system.img fastboot flash system_b system.img
- Then flash the Stock vbmeta image using the command given below.
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Once the flash processes complete, reboot your device using;
- That’s all.
In case you end up in a bootloop, repeat the process and flash the files again. Still, if you are having issues, let us know via comments.