LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus 5 is now out. You can grab the latest builds over at the xda thread, thanks to the developer codeworkx. This ROM has been anticipated the most for a unified Oreo release, and while it still hasn’t hit a lot of devices, OnePlus 5 was high up in demand, and thankfully, it was one of the first devices to have received this ROM. If you are interested in learning how to Install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus 5, then follow this in-depth guide!
The OnePlus 5 was released in July 2017, and was indeed one of the most rock-solid devices to have existed around that time, before it was over-shadowed by its own successor, the OnePlus 5T. The OnePlus 5 sports the latest in-grade flagship specifications, like the Snapdragon 835, 6 or 8 insane gigabytes of RAM, 128 GB of super fast UFS 2.1 storage, and a pretty respectable dual camera setup. The phone also had the OnePlus-specific goodies like the alert slider, the fastest fingerprint scanner in any mobile device, and came pre-loaded with the amazing OxygenOS software. The phone currently runs Android Oreo, atop OxygenOS 5, and is guaranteed to be update to Android P whenever it becomes mainstream.
The reason why I say LineageOS 15.1 was such an anticipated release is all thanks to the amount of stability and features it brings to the table. From the early days of CyanogenMod, stability and great performance with adequate battery life was always the ROM’s goal, and with this new release, these aspects sure don’t chicken out. This is yet another reason why almost all the custom ROMs are based off of Lineage instead of AOSP.
The procedure to installing a custom ROM is quite simple if followed right. Although OnePlus claims that the users still retain their device’s warranty, we strictly advice you not to proceed with the guide unless you are an Android enthusiast wanting the most out of your device. With that being said, if you don’t already have an unlocked bootloader, with a custom recovery installed on your OnePlus 5, we have detailed guides on the following as well.
AndroidOdex is not responsible for any kind of mishap that occurs to your device in the midst of the process. Our guides are well researched and aptly written, and we advice you to give them a good read before carrying out the procedure.
- This guide is specifically made for the OnePlus 5. Trying this on other devices might result in a hard brick.
- Ensure your device has atleast 60% of battery to prevent shutdowns in the middle of the procedure.
- Flashing a custom ROM requires you to wipe your data partition, so make sure you have your apps and data backed up prior to the procedure.
- We recommend you use the original data cable supplied by the OEM to connect your phone to your PC and transfer the required files.
How to Install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus 5
- Transfer the ROM file to the root of your internal storage.
- Reboot your phone into the recovery mode by pressing and holding Power + Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
- Swipe to allow modifications in TWRP Recovery.
- Tap on “Wipe“, and swipe to factory wipe your device.
- From the main menu, tap on Install and navigate to the zip file you’ve just transferred.
- Tap on it, and swipe to confirm the flash.
- This ROM comes with an Aroma installer, so you may need to additionally select stuff you want with the flash and proceed.
- Additionally, you may flash GApps to gain Play Services and all the goodies.
- The process takes a good second, and once done don’t forget to wipe cache.
That’s all! You’ve successfully installed LineageOS 15.1 on your OnePlus 5. What’s next? Browse through our website’s OnePlus 5 archives to install some custom ROMs as well. If you had any issues in following our guide on How to install LineageOS 15.1 on OnePlus 5 , then feel free to hit us in the comments section below.