LineageOS, previously known as CyanogenMod is a renowned open source operating system based on Android. Compared to CyanogenMod, LineageOS is new and therefore, is only available for few devices. An XDA member, invisiblek has released the unofficial LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies for Google Pixel and Pixel XL devices. The latest LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies focuses more on features and other tweaks. Despite being the newcomer, LineageOS doesn’t have too many bugs and is perfect for any Android user. In this guide, we will help you install LineageOS Nightlies on Google Pixel and Pixel XL.
Google released Pixel and Pixel XL back in 2016 and is now working on the successors, however, many own these devices and seem to be satisfied with the performance and everything. Both Google Pixel and Pixel XL has been successful and are competing with the big names like Samsung and Apple. Since the devices run Android operating system, there is always a room for Custom ROMs. LineageOS is one of the famous Custom ROM for Android devices and has been released for Google Pixel and Pixel XL devices quite recently. LineageOS carries the legacy of CyanogenMod and when installed on devices, improves the performance and enables you to customize your device according to your liking.
Also Read: Install Nemesis ROM on Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus
Installing Custom ROMs is easy but before that, you must have TWRP recovery installed on your devices. Installing custom recoveries could be tricky if you are a newbie, therefore, proceed at your own risk.
INSTALLING CUSTOM ROMS IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER. IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, ANDROIDODEX WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Head over to the link and download USB Drivers for your Google Pixel and Pixel XL.
- Make sure your devices are rooted. Here’s how to root Google Pixel and Pixel XL (same for both devices).
- Your device must have an Unlocked Bootloader. (Here’s how you can Unlock Bootloader of Android Devices).
- Charge your devices to 60%, at least.
- Enable USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Menu > Settings > Applications.
- Tap on Developer Options and then on USB Debugging to enable it.
How to Install LineageOS Nightlies on Google Pixel and Pixel XL
- First, download the LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies for Google Pixel and Pixel XL (In case the link doesn’t work due to restriction, click here).
- Connect your Google Pixel or Pixel XL device to your PC via a USB Cable.
- Copy the downloaded LineageOS ROM file to the SD Card.
- Now disconnect the device and turn it Off.
- Press and Hold Power + Volume Down Keys at the same time. This will put your device into Bootloader mode.
- Press Volume Up key twice and then use Power key to select the recovery mode.
- Once in recovery mode, select Wipe and then tick every option except SD card.
- Then swipe to perform Factory reset on your device.
- Now head back to the main menu and select Install.
- Here, locate the LineageOS ROM file you copied and install it.
- When the installation completes, return to the main menu and select Reboot > System.
Since it’s the first boot after installing a Custom ROM, it will take some time. If you have any question, let us know in the comments below.