A new AOSP-based Custom ROM has surfaced online, and goes by the code name PAEX, which is an abbreviation for “Phoenix AEX ROM”. You can grab the latest builds of PAEX ROM on OnePlus 3 over at the xda thread, all thanks to the developer siankatabg who has been hard at work for this custom ROM. If you are willing to download and Install PAEX ROM on OnePlus 3, then follow our in-depth guide given below!
The OnePlus 3 was the Chinese Underdog’s flagship killer for the year 2016, and even though it was short lived thanks to its successor, the OnePlus 3T, this phone was still incredibly powerful at the time, and even is in 2018! It sported the latest and greatest (of that time) snapdragon 820, 6 insane gigs of RAM, a metal uni-body build, and also was baked in with sweet additions like the Alert Slider, Dash Charging, and OnePlus’ amazing software – OxygenOS.
Getting back to the topic for today, PAEX ROM is a bit different than the rest despite the same close-to-stock experience you get with all. The developer has hand-picked some very useful and unique features and has tailored it to this ROM. Thanks to the cherry-picked commits, this ROM is best suited for those who don’t want a ROM bloated to the brim with features you might never use. In any case, below are some of the many features this ROM has to offer:
- Full EAS support – Both ROM and Kernel side
- Marlin Power HAL – Tweaked for months for balanced battery and smoothest performance
- Kernel based on RenderKernel + few additional features /see github/
- Wifi: 2,4ghz channel bonding enabled
- ROM is odexed for better 1st boot time.
- sRGB toggle integrated and ON by default
- Small Quick tiles capped to 6 – No matter the dpi used
- High Brightness Mode Quick tile
- Framework implemented Pocket mode (PocketJudge) /Credits to AOSPA/
- Device specific custom firmware flash – You don’t need to search for the right firmware anymore! (This will flash the needed firmware depending on your variant (3/3T) during the ROM installation) /Credits to AOSPA/
- Camera HAL1 and HAL3 are fully working – Now you can use whatever 3rd party camera you want!
- ROM included cameras:
- OOS camera port Camera-O² by siankatabg
- aHDR, HQ and HDR modes
- 1080p60 recording (limited to 42-51 fps cause OOS blobs not released)
- Timelapse, Slowmotion and Panorama working.
The procedure to installing a custom ROM is quite simple if followed right. Although OnePlus claims that the users still retain their device’s warranty, we strictly advice you not to proceed with the guide unless you are an Android enthusiast wanting the most out of your device. With that being said, if you don’t already have an unlocked bootloader, with a custom recovery installed on your OnePlus 5, we have detailed guides on the following as well.
AndroidOdex is not responsible for any kind of mishap that occurs to your device in the midst of the process. Our guides are well researched and aptly written, and we advice you to give them a good read before carrying out the procedure.
- This guide is specifically made for the OnePlus 3. Trying this on other devices might result in a hard brick.
- Ensure your device has atleast 60% of battery to prevent shutdowns in the middle of the procedure.
- Flashing a custom ROM requires you to wipe your data partition, so make sure you have your apps and data backed up prior to the procedure.
- We recommend you use the original data cable supplied by the OEM to connect your phone to your PC and transfer the required files.
How to Install PAEX ROM on OnePlus 3
- Transfer the ROM file to the root of your internal storage.
- Reboot your phone into the recovery mode by pressing and holding Power + Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
- Swipe to allow modifications in TWRP Recovery.
- Tap on “Wipe“, and swipe to factory wipe your device.
- From the main menu, tap on Install and navigate to the zip file you’ve just transferred.
- Tap on it, and swipe to confirm the flash.
- This ROM comes with an Aroma installer, so you may need to additionally select stuff you want with the flash and proceed.
- Additionally, you may flash GApps to gain Play Services and all the goodies.
- The process takes a good second, and once done don’t forget to wipe cache.
That’s all! You’ve successfully installed PAEX ROM on your OnePlus 3. What’s next? Browse through our website’s OnePlus 3 archives to install some custom ROMs as well. If you had any issues in following our guide on How to install PAEX ROM on OnePlus 3 , then feel free to hit us in the comments section below.