While Samsung latest flagship is still on its way to reach the remote markets, folks at TeamWin have released the TWRP Recovery for Note 8. It is no surprise to get the custom recovery in such a short span of time, considering that we can always rely on TeamWin. After the failure of Galaxy Note 7, Samsung had almost everything on the stake. Despite the criticism, the Korean giant seemed pretty confident throughout the year and released the next flagship in its full glory. Now that we have tested the Galaxy Note 8 from every angle, we can say that Samsung has done well and hopefully regained the trust. Since every developer was eager to get his hands on Note 8, custom recovery was inevitable. In this guide, we have provided the download links for TWRP recovery. Moreover, we will also help you install TWRP recovery and root Galaxy Note 8.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 comes with an optimized Android 7.0 Nougat and since Google has released Android Oreo, eventually all users will receive the update. With the recovery released, you can now easily install TWRP recovery and root Galaxy Note 8 to add extra features. Having a root access on your device allows you to remove the bloatware and perform customizations. In addition to that, the recovery enables you to wipe the Dalvik cache and other individual partitions on your Note 8 device. Now that the TWRP recovery is released and the Oreo update is yet to make its appearance, we can expect LineageOS ROM.
- Install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy J3 2017
- How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Nokia 3
- Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S8
Moving on to the installation procedure, it’s quite simple, however, you must follow the instructions carefully or you will brick your device. Also, note that the given procedure and the recovery are for Exynos chip. The recovery will work on the model numbers SM-N950F/FD/X/N whereas it will not work with the Snapdragon variants. You can easily install TWRP recovery and root Galaxy Note 8 by following the provided instructions.
The provided recovery is meant for Galaxy Note 8 with Exynos chip. Do not install it on Snapdragon variant. The provided procedure may void the warranty. In case of any mishap, AndroidOdex or the developer will not be responsible.
- Create a backup of your data including pictures, contacts, and files.
- Charge the device to at least 60% to avoid an accidental shutdown.
- Head over to the link and Download Samsung Galaxy Note 8 USB Drivers.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- The latest version of Odin on your PC. → Link
- TWRP Recovery for Galaxy Note 8. → Download
- no-variety-opt-encrypt.zip. → Download
- SuperSU. → Download
How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy Note 8
- Extract the TWRP recovery package, it should have a file with .tar extension.
- Extract the Odin package and install it by double-clicking on Odin3 v3.10.6.exe.
- Once installed, launch Odin.
- Turn Off your Galaxy Note 8 and reboot it into Download mode.
- Press and Hold Bixby + Volume Down + Power button to boot your device into download mode.
- Then, press Volume Up key to continue.
- Now connect your Galaxy Note 8 to PC running Odin.
- Upon recognizing the device, Odin will show the message Added in the log box.
- To load the TWRP file in Odin, click on the AP button and select the TWRP recovery (.tar) file that you extracted.
- Under the options tab, make sure Auto Reboot and Re-partition options are unchecked. If so, click on Start button.
- When the flash process completes, you will see PASS message above the ID:COM port.
- You have installed the TWRP recovery, now it is time to root your Galaxy Note 8.
- For that, you will have to flash SuperSU file in the recovery mode of your Galaxy Note 8.
- To boot in recovery mode, press and hold Bixby + Volume Down+ Power button. When the screen lights up, let go of all the buttons and press Volume Up button.
- A message will ask you if you want to allow modifications, swipe the screen and navigate to TWRP.
- In TWRP, tap on Wipe and then select Format Data. This will delete everything on your device.
- At this point, your device is still connected to PC. If not, connect it to PC and copy the DM-variety and SuperSU files from your PC to Note 8.
- Navigate back to TWRP’s home screen, tap on Install and select the DM-variety file that you copied in your phone.
- After installing, DM-variety, navigate back and install SuperSU file.
- When the installation completes, tap Reboot > System.
You can also use Magisk instead of SuperSU to root your device. Both work.
That’s it, you have installed TWRP recovery on Galaxy Note 8. If you have questions regarding the method, let us know in the comments.