By releasing Nokia 3, 5 and 6 at the MWC in Barcelona earlier this year, Nokia officially made its comeback in the arena of smarphones. Out of three, Nokia 3 is the mid-range smartphone running Android OS. Also, Nokia didn’t make many changes to the original OS built by the Google, therefore, in terms of OS, Nokia seems pretty close to the Nexus and Pixel devices. The reason why users go for Android is the customization which allows them to make changes in the OS according to their needs. All this is possible due to Android’s open nature. To achieve the customization on Nokia 3, you will have to install TWRP recovery and root Nokia 3. TWRP is the best custom recovery at the moment that allows you to flash the custom ROMs and Mods.
In order to install the custom recovery, you will have to unlock the bootloader of your Nokia 3 device. An unlocked bootloader gives you administrative privileges over your device which paves a way for custom recoveries like TWRP. After getting the privileges you can easily install TWRP recovery and root Nokia 3. As far the specs are concerned, Nokia 3 comes with a 5.00-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 720 pixels by 1280 pixel. Under the hood is a MediaTek 6737 processor clocked at 1.3GHz that powers it. It has 3 GB RAM, 16GB of internal storage which is expandable up to 128GB via a microSD card and a 2630mAh non-removable battery.
You Might Like;
- How to Root Android Devices Using CF Auto Root
- How to Install Netflix on Rooted Android Device
- Root Google Pixel XL Running Android 7.1.2 Nougat
For your ease, we have put together the instructions to help you unlock the bootloader, install TWRP recovery and root Nokia 3. However, before proceeding, keep in mind these instructions are only for Nokia 3 device, applying these on any other device could brick your device.
- Download and Install latest Android USB drivers on your computer.→ Download
- Use the link to setup ADB and Fastboot tool on your PC.→ Link
- Make sure to charge your device to at least 60%.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- To root the Nokia 3 use the link and download SuperSU. Move the downloaded file to the SD Card.
- You will the TWRP Recovery image for Nokia 3. | Download
Rename the file to recovery.img for ease of installation and move it into the ADB installation.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Nokia 3
- Connect your Nokia 3 device to the PC via a USB cable.
- Naviaget to ADB and Fastboot folder and open the command prompt by typing cmd in the address bar.
- In the command prompt window type the following command;
- adb reboot recovery
- This will reboot your device into the Recovery mode.
- Use Volume Up/Down keys and navigate to the option that says Reboot to bootloader
- Press the Power key to select it.
- Now to unlock the bootloader, execute the following command;
- fastboot oem unlock
- Now press the Volume Up button to proceed.
- That’s it.
How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Nokia 3
- Connect your Nokia 3 device with the computer via a USB Cable.
- Go to the directory where you have Fastboot and ADB installed and type cmd in the address bar to open the command prompt.
- In the command window type the following command and press Enter;
- adb reboot bootloader
- It will boot the device into bootloader mode.
- Once your phone is in bootloader mode, simply execute the following command;
- fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-alpha1-fastboot-marlin.img
- To root Nokia 3, disconnect it from your computer and turn it Off.
- Next, press and hold Power + Volume Up keys to reboot it into recovery mode.
- Once in recovery mode, tap on Install.
- Navigate to the SuperSU file that you copied earlier and select it.
- Now swipe right where it says swipe to flash.
- This will flash the SuperSU on your Nokia 3.
- Navigate to main menu and tap on Reboot > System.
- That’s it.
Since it is the first boot, it will take some time. If you have questions regarding the method, let us know in the comments.