Over the years Oneplus has proven to be a reliable manufacturer in the evolving market of smartphones. The latest flagship from the Chinese manufacturer, OnePlus 6 is now available in the global market. It’s been few days since the official release of OnePlus 6, and you will be surprised to know that the unofficial TWRP recovery has already made its way to the flagship. The fact that it took only few days for devs, after the release to come up with the custom recovery shows how popular OnePlus 6 is. Custom recoveries such as TWRP are the windows to the custom development. Now that a reliable custom recovery such as TWRP is out, it is a matter of days Custom ROMs for OnePlus 6 will start appearing. If you are an Android enthusiast and want to make the most out of your, here, we will help you unlock bootloader, install TWRP recovery and root OnePlus 6.
The best thing about Android OS is that it lets the users customize the OS to fit according to their needs. The custom recovery is like a stepping store that opens the window to the root process and Custom ROMs. In case of OnePlus 6, the recovery is an unofficial build by XDA member, wuxianlin. Another amazing fact about OnePlus 6 is that it is the first device from Oneplus to have compatibility with Project Treble. Once you install TWRP recovery and root OnePlus 6, you can extend the boundaries of your OnePlus 6 device.
- Download OnePlus 6 Stock Wallpapers
- How to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 3
- How to Root OnePlus 3 via Magisk or SuperSU
Now before you jump off to the instructions and start flashing the recovery, note that, along the way, you will have to wipe all the data on your device. Therefore, it is advised that you create a backup of your important files. Also, if you are a newbie, do your research or else there is a chance you end up with a bricked device. If have made up your mind, let’s discuss how you can install TWRP recovery and root OnePlus 6 device.
Installing a custom recovery is not recommended by the manufacturer. In case of any mishap, AndroidOdex or the developer will not be responsible.
- Create a backup of your data including pictures, contacts, and files.
- Charge the device to at least 60% to avoid an accidental shutdown.
- Head over to the link and Download Android USB Drivers.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- You will need OnePlus 6 device with an unlocked bootloader, use this guide to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 6 device.
- Head over and install ADB on your PC/Laptop.
- Boot.img file → Download
- TWRP file → Download
- TWRPWorkingInstaller.zip → Download
- TWRP-Blue-FIX.zip → Download
- Magisk → Download
Copy boot.img, TWRP files to C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder and boot.img, TWRPWorkingInstaller.zip, TWRP-Blue-FIX.zip and Magisk Root.zip file to your phone’s internal storage.
How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 6
- Connect your OnePlus 6 to PC via a USB cable.
- On your PC, navigate to ADB folder and enter cmd in the address bar to launch Minimal ADB & Fastboot on your PC. Mac and Linux can simply launch the Terminal window and start using ADB.
- Now type the following command in ADB and reboot your OnePlus 6 into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once in fastboot mode, type the following command to flash the TWRP.
fastboot flash boot_a twrp.img fastboot flash boot_b twrp.img
- The command with boot_a will flash the twrp file on partition A whereas the command with boot_b will flash the twrp file on partition B.
- When the installation completes, disconnect your Oneplus 6 from PC.
- Now press Power + Volume Up keys to boot into recovery mode.
- You will end up in TWRP recovery with Chinese language, here tap on Settings > Globe icon and change language to English.
- Navigate back to main menu and tap on Install > Install Zip and locate boot.img file to flash it on your OnePlus 6 device.
- Once the flash process completes, following the same procedure flash TWRPWorkingInstaller.zip, TWRP-Blue-FIX.zip, and Root.zip.
- When all the flash processes complete, tap on tap Reboot > System.
- That’s it, you are done installing TWRP recovery and rooting your OnePlus 6.
The first boot after the root will take some time. If you have questions regarding the instructions, let us know via comments.