A custom recovery is basically a runtime environment or we can say a mini operating system which can perform Android related tasks. At the moment TWRP recovery is the most famous recovery and lets you dig deep into the operating system of your device. Whether you want to create backups, install ROMs or want to root your device, TWRP recovery is what you will need. Compared to CWM recovery, which now discontinued, TWRP is more easy to operate and uses a touch-based UI. With TWRP recovery installed you can flash any Custom ROM or MOD on your device.
It is very dynamic and has a large button which makes it easier to tap in the right one. While performing tasks, it even guesses what you should do next. In addition to that, TWRP recovery is available for almost every device running Android operating system. TWRP recovery comes in various file formats including .zip files, .tar files and in .img files. Out of these, .tar files are only for Samsung devices whereas recovery in a .zip file can only be installed on a device which already has a recovery installed. So, we are left with the .img file, you can install them on any Android device.
Like the file formats, there are various methods to install the custom recovery and out of all, Fastboot is the easiest and reliable. Therefore, in this guide, we will help you install TWRP recovery via Fastboot.
- Your device must have an Unlocked Bootloader. (Here’s how you can Unlock Bootloader of Android Devices).
- Use the link to setup ADB and Fastboot tool on your PC.→ Link
- Charged your phone to 60%.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging.
To enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
How to Install TWRP Recovery via Fastboot on your Android Device
- Install the Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers tool on your computer.
- Now, click on the link and download TWRP Recovery file. Make sure you download the .img file.
- Once the file is downloaded, rename it to recovery.img.
- Copy this recovery.img file to the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder. (On your computer it will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot).
- Then double-click on the MAF32.exe file. This will open a Command window.
- Connect your phone to PC.
- Type the following commands in the command window. After typing each command press Enter.
- adb devices
- adb reboot bootloader
- fastboot devices
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- fastboot reboot
That’s it, you have installed the TWRP recovery via Fastboot. To boot your device into TWRP recovery, type adb reboot recovery in the command windows.