Huawei’s latest crown jewels are still in the limelight and are part of many discussions mainly because of their revolutionizing cameras. Huawei P20 and P20 Pro are the latest addition to Huawei’s P-series and have replaced the Huawei P10. There is a huge change in the design of both devices compare to the predecessor. However, that’s not the important thing. Aside from the minor changes, the selling point for the duo would certainly be the tri-lense camera that adds up to 68MP. With a revamped design and a new camera setup, Huawei P20 and P20 have already hit the markets. After the release of Android devices, the next big thing is the custom ROM development. The breakthough comes after the release of custom recovery. Thanks to XDA member, Pretoriano80, you can now install the unofficial TWRP recovery and root Huawei P20/P20 Pro devices.
TWRP is one of the most stable custom recoveries and now that it has been released, you can pave a way for the ROMs. Without custom recovery it is impossible to flash the ROMs. Prior to the relase of this unofficial TWRP recovery, Huawei P20 and P20 Pro users had to format the entire device in order to make any modification to the data. That’s not the case in the release by Pretoriano80 as users can keep their devices encrypted while modifying the data with custom recovery. Although you can now install TWRP recovery and root Huawei P20/P20 Pro, since the release isn’t official, you can face issues.
- Download Huawei P20 Pro Stock Wallpapers
- Install TWRP Recovery and Root Nokia 3
- How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xperia XA2
In case of Pretoriano80’s recovery, Internal storage decryption, MTP and OTG connection, and Backup & Restore works perfectly. Having said that, it is advised that you research before proceeding as the proded recovery is tested on few devices and you can counter various issues. Iif you have done your homework and want to install TWRP recovery and root Huawei P20/P20 Pro, follow the instructions provided below.
Installation of a custom recovery is not recommened by the manufacturer and a slight mistake can lead to a bricked device. If anything goes wrong, AndroidOdex or the developer will not be responsible.
- Download and Install latest Android USB drivers on your computer.→ Download
- Use the link to setup ADB and Fastboot tool on your PC.→ Link
- Make sure the bootloader of your device is unlocked. If not, use this guide to unlock bootloader.
- Make sure to charge your device to at least 60%.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- TWRP Recovery. → Huawei P20 | Huawei P20 Pro
- Use the link to download SuperSU and move it to the SD Card. → Download
How to install TWRP Recovery and Root Huawei P20/P20 Pro
- Connect your Huawei P20/P20 Pro device with the computer via a USB Cable.
- Go to the directory where you have Fastboot and ADB installed and type cmd in the address bar to open the command prompt.
- In the command window type the following command and press Enter;
adb reboot recovery
- It will boot the device into bootloader mode.
- Once your phone is in bootloader mode, simply execute the following command;
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk [name of the file].img
- To root Huawei P20/P20 Pro, disconnect it from your computer and turn it Off.
- Next, press and hold Power + Volume Up keys to reboot it into recovery mode.
- Once in recovery mode, tap on Install.
- Navigate to the SuperSU file that you copied earlier and select it.
- Now swipe right where it says swipe to flash.
- This will flash the SuperSU on your Huawei P20/P20 Pro.
- Navigate to main menu and tap on Reboot > System.
- That’s it.
If you want to get in contact with the developer, here’s the link to the official XDA forum. Regarding the method provided above, you can post your queries via comments.