Released only a couple of months ago, Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro has already received the official TWR recovery. Although, prior to this official release, Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro had received an unofficial TWRP recovery. Now with the official build being available, and that the official Oreo update for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro will bring Project Treble compatibility, we hope to see some serious the custom development in the coming days. TWRP is the most popular and reliable custom recovery available at the moment. The Android enthusiasts with Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro can now install TWRP Recovery and root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro devices.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro was released back in February with Android 7.1.2 Nougat and hopefully will soon receive its share of Android Oreo. As for the rest of the features, Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro comes with large 5.99-inch 18:9 display, a Snapdragon 625 SoC, clocked at up to 2GHz processor, 3/4GB of RAM, 32/64 GB of internal storage and a large 4000mAh battery. Coming back to TWRP, it will pave a way for you to install custom ROMs and make backups.
- Update Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 & Note 3 Pro to Android Oreo
- Install Carbon ROM On Xiaomi Mi 5 [Custom ROM]
- How to Root Android Devices using KingRoot
You can now easily install TWRP Recovery and root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro devices. However, all the third-party apps and the instructions aside, for newbies it could be tricky. Therefore, it is recommended that you do your research before proceeding.
Installing a custom recovery is not recommended by the manufacturer. In case of any mishap, AndroidOdex or the developer will not be responsible.
- Create a backup of your data including pictures, contacts, and files.
- Charge the device to at least 60% to avoid an accidental shutdown.
- Head over to the link and Download Android USB Drivers.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- Make sure the bootloader of your Xiaomi device is unlocked. If not, use this link and unlock it.
- Head over and install ADB on your PC/Laptop.
How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Connect your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro to PC via a USB cable.
- On your PC, navigate to ADB folder and enter cmd in the address bar to launch Minimal ADB & Fastboot on your PC. Mac and Linux can simply launch the Terminal window and start using ADB.
- Now type the following command in ADB and reboot your Redmi Note 5 Pro into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once in fastboot mode, type the following command to flash the TWRP.
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-whyred.img
- When the installation completes, reboot your device using this command.
- That’s it, you have installed the TWRP recovery, let’s root Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Connect your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro to PC and boot into recovery mode using this command.
adb reboot recovery
- You will end up in the main menu of TWRP recovery. If you have already made the backup, tap on Install.
- Now select the SuperSU file that you downloaded earlier and install it.
- When the installation completes, tap on tap Reboot > System.
The first boot after the root will take some time. If you are facing issues rooting the device, here’s a link to guide. If you have any question, reach us via comments.