Learn how to Root OnePlus 5T now that both its recovery and bootloader unlocking guides have been covered. While both unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom recovery might have been harder processes, rooting a device is completely fail-safe and doesn’t require you to have any kind of PC or intermediate – all can be done on the phone itself. We have two options when it comes to rooting your OnePlus 5T. Magisk is a newer addition, while SuperSU has been around for the longest time. However, being new, Magisk has a seamless system-less root, and also bypasses saftey-net issues, which cannot be told true about SuperSU as well. Anyway, in this guide on How to Root OnePlus 5T, we have download links for both Magisk as well as SuperSU, so the choice is yours.
OnePlus 5T was released shortly after the release of the OnePlus 5, boasting a new and improved 18:9 display, a set of new cameras, but everything else about the two phones was identical. The phone was released for the same price tag as the OnePlus 5 in some regions, which led people in purchasing the latter since it was an obvious choice. The 5T carries in it the Snapdragon 835, 8 gigabytes of RAM, 128 GB of UFS 2.1 storage, and a flagship build and design. On top of that, OnePlus’ great software based on Android Oreo has amazing optimizations for battery life and performance.
If you still feel a lackluster with your OnePlus 5T, then rooting it only makes more sense. With a rooted device, you will be able to access the hidden partitions of your smartphone, allowing you to install custom ROMs, and many other mods. Rooting does usually void warranty on other devices, and although OnePlus claims that the users still retain their device’s warranty, we strictly advice you not to proceed with the guide unless you are an Android enthusiast wanting the most out of your device. With that being said, all you need to be able to Root OnePlus 5T is right here. Before that, ensure your device has an unlocked bootloader, with a custom recovery like TWRP installed on it prior to this.
AndroidOdex is not responsible for any kind of mishap that occurs to your device in the midst of the process. Our guides are well researched and aptly written, and we advice you to give them a good read before carrying out the procedure.
- This guide is specifically made for the OnePlus 5T. Trying this on other devices might result in a hard brick.
- Ensure your device has atleast 60% of battery to prevent shutdowns in the middle of the procedure.
- Even though rooting your device doesn’t affect the data partition, backing up everything is always a good habit.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do so, navigate to Settings > About Phone and tap on Build Number seven times. This will enable Developer Options, under which you can enable USB Debugging.
- We recommend you use the original data cable supplied by the OEM to connect your phone to your PC.
How to Root OnePlus 5T
- Transfer the Magisk or SuperSU root file to the root of the internal storage of your smartphone.
- Reboot your phone into the recovery mode by pressing and holding Power + Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
- Swipe to allow modifications in TWRP Recovery.
- From the main menu, tap on Install and navigate to the zip file you’ve just transferred.
- Tap on it, and swipe to confirm the flash.
- The process takes a good second, and once done don’t forget to wipe cache.
That’s all! You’ve successfully gained complete root access on your OnePlus 5T. What’s next? Browse through our website’s OnePlus 5T archives to install some custom ROMs as well. If you had any issues in following our guide on How to Root OnePlus 5T, then feel free to hit us in the comments section below.