Samsung latest flagships Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus were followed shortly by the release of Kernel Sources. It was a matter of only a couple of weeks folks that TeamWin came up with the custom recovery for both the devices. Custom Recovery such as TWRP from TeamWin is the stepping stone for the custom ROMs. Thanks to jesec, an active member at XDA, you can now install TWRP recovery on your Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus devices. When it comes to OS, both the devices were launched with Android Oreo. For your ease, we have put together the required download links and the instructions to help you install TWRP recovery on Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus.
With TWRP recovery now available, you can go ahead with the Custom ROMs and can recover the device in case any of your software ventures go wrong. As for the variants, at the moment the TWRP is not available for the Snapdragon variant. Those of you with Exynos variants can go ahead and install the recovery on their Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus devices. This will enable you to install custom ROMs, which means a whole new range of features. However, make sure to back up the system partition before you flash any custom ROM.
It is easy to install TWRP recovery on Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus and with the instruction provided below, we will make sure to keep things as easy as possible. There are few things you should keep in mind such as the given recovery is only for the Exynos variants such as G960F/FD/F-DS/N.
The provided recovery is meant for Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus with Exynos chips. Do not install it on Snapdragon variant. In case of any mishap, AndroidOdex or the developer will not be responsible.
- Create a backup of your data including pictures, contacts, and files.
- Charge the device to at least 60% to avoid an accidental shutdown.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus USB drivers. → Link
- The latest version of Odin on your PC. → Link
- Now download TWRP Recovery files. → Galaxy S9 | Galaxy S9 Plus
- Patched boot image file. → Download
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus
- Extract the TWRP recovery package, it should have a file with .tar extension.
- Extract the Odin package and install it by double-clicking on Odin3 v3.10.6.exe.
- Once installed, launch Odin.
- Turn Off your Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus and reboot it into download mode.
- Press and Hold Bixby + Volume Down + Power button to boot your device into download mode.
- Then, press Volume Up key to continue.
- Now connect your device to PC running Odin.
- Upon recognizing the device, Odin will show the message Added in the log box.
- To load the TWRP file in Odin, click on the AP button and select the TWRP recovery (.tar) file that you extracted.
- Under the options tab, make sure Auto Reboot and Re-partition options are unchecked. If so, click on Start button.
- When the flash process completes, you will see PASS message above the ID:COM port.
- Now disconnect your device from PC and reboot it into download mode.
- It will boot into recovery mode. Swipe the screen and get into TWRP now.
- This will take you to the main menu in TWRP recovery, here tap Wipe > Format Data.
- After formatting the data, head back the to main menu.
- Again, connect the device to PC and copy the patched boot image to the internal storage of your device.
- Disconnect the device from PC and get into TWRP’s home screen using step-4.
- Here, tap on Install > Install IMG > locate the patched boot image that you copied earlier and flash it.
- That’s it.