OnePlus 5’s Bootloader can now be easily unlocked. The entire procedure is very simple to follow since OnePlus actually encourages its users to go ahead and meddle with their phones. The process has been the same ever since the first OnePlus device, and probably will remain the same too. In this guide, you will be able to learn how you can Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5.
The OnePlus 5 was released in July 2017, and was indeed one of the most rock-solid devices to have existed around that time, before it was over-shadowed by its own successor, the OnePlus 5T. The OnePlus 5 sports the latest in-grade flagship specifications, like the Snapdragon 835, 6 or 8 insane gigabytes of RAM, 128 GB of super fast UFS 2.1 storage, and a pretty respectable dual camera setup. The phone also had the OnePlus-specific goodies like the alert slider, the fastest fingerprint scanner in any mobile device, and came pre-loaded with the amazing OxygenOS software. The phone currently runs Android Oreo, atop OxygenOS 5, and is guaranteed to be update to Android P whenever it becomes mainstream.
Let’s get back to our guide on how to unlock the bootloader on the OnePlus 5. There are plenty of reasons why you might want to do so. Primarily, an unlocked device allows the user to have complete control over the phone’s software. Being able to flash a custom recovery, install a custom ROM, root, and much more become accessible once the bootloader has been unlocked. Different devices have different ways of going about it, and luckily, the OnePlus 5T has one of the easiest ways which requires ADB and Fastboot installed on a Windows PC. Although OnePlus claims that the users still retain their device’s warranty, we strictly advice you not to proceed with the guide unless you are an Android enthusiast wanting the most out of your device.
AndroidOdex is not responsible for any kind of mishap that occurs to your device in the midst of the process. Our guides are well researched and aptly written, and we advice you to give them a good read before carrying out the procedure.
- This guide is specifically made for the OnePlus 5. Trying this on other devices might result in a hard brick.
- Ensure your device has atleast 60% of battery to prevent shutdowns in the middle of the procedure.
- Unlocking the bootloader wipes everything off your device, including media and your internal storage. Ensure you back everything up.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do so, navigate to Settings > About Phone and tap on Build Number seven times. This will enable Developer Options, under which you can enable USB Debugging.
- Enable OEM Unlock on your device. To do so, navigate to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM Unlock.
- We recommend you use the original data cable supplied by the OEM to connect your phone to your PC.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5
- Boot your OnePlus 5 into the fastboot mode by pressing Power + Volume Up buttons simultaneously.
- Launch ADB and Fastboot on your Windows PC, and connect your device in fastboot mode using the data cable.
- Type the following command to ensure your device is being detected by Windows :
- If everything is okay, proceed to unlocking the bootloader by entering the following command :
fastboot oem unlock
- If your device doesn’t reboot automatically, type the following command in as well :
You should now have a device with an unlocked bootloader. You may now restore all of your backups since everything on your device has been wiped during the process. What’s next? Browse through our website’s OnePlus 5 archives to not only root the device, but install some custom ROMs as well. If you had any issues in following our guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5, then feel free to hit us in the comments section below.