OnePlus 5T’s Bootloader can now be unlocked. The process is extremely simple, and takes no more than a couple of minutes. Unlike a couple of other OEMs, OnePlus is keen on its fanbase unlocking the bootloaders of their devices, and thus makes it extremely simple to do so. The process has been the same ever since the first OnePlus device, and probably will remain the same too. In this guide, you will be able to learn how you can Unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 5T.
The OnePlus 5T was released not even 6 months after the release of the OnePlus 5. The reason being that OnePlus missed out on the entire buzz about the bezelless displays. To counter this, they released the OnePlus 5T for the same price (in some regions) as the original, but with a new and gorgeous 18:9 display. The cameras also got a pretty controversial upgrade as well, performing a bit better in low-light, but with the compromise of losing the telephoto lens.
Everything else about the 5T is exactly similar to the OnePlus 5. The same powerful Snapdragon 835, 6 or 8 gigabytes of LPDDR4 RAM, and so on and so forth. The build, apart from the new display has also remained the same. A full unibody metal build, with the traditional alert slider, USB C, and of course, a headphone jack. OnePlus 5T was originally released with Android Nougat out of the box, based on OxygenOS 4.5.x but soon got updated to Android Oreo, in the disguise of OxygenOS 5.x.
Let’s get back to our guide on how to unlock the bootloader on the OnePlus 5T. There are plenty of reasons why you might want to do so. Primarily, an unlocked device allows the user to have complete control over the phone’s software. Being able to flash a custom recovery, install a custom ROM, root, and much more become accessible once the bootloader has been unlocked. Different devices have different ways of going about it, and luckily, the OnePlus 5T has one of the easiest ways which requires ADB and Fastboot installed on a Windows PC. Although OnePlus claims that the users still retain their device’s warranty, we strictly advice you not to proceed with the guide unless you are an Android enthusiast wanting the most out of your device.
AndroidOdex is not responsible for any kind of mishap that occurs to your device in the midst of the process. Our guides are well researched and aptly written, and we advice you to give them a good read before carrying out the procedure.
- This guide is specifically made for the OnePlus 5T. Trying this on other devices might result in a hard brick.
- Ensure your device has atleast 60% of battery to prevent shutdowns in the middle of the procedure.
- Unlocking the bootloader wipes everything off your device, including media and your internal storage. Ensure you back everything up.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do so, navigate to Settings > About Phone and tap on Build Number seven times. This will enable Developer Options, under which you can enable USB Debugging.
- Enable OEM Unlock on your device. To do so, navigate to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM Unlock.
- We recommend you use the original data cable supplied by the OEM to connect your phone to your PC.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5T
- Boot your OnePlus 5T into the fastboot mode by pressing Power + Volume Up buttons simultaneously.
- Launch ADB and Fastboot on your Windows PC, and connect your device in fastboot mode using the data cable.
- Type the following command to ensure your device is being detected by Windows :
- If everything is okay, proceed to unlocking the bootloader by entering the following command :
fastboot oem unlock
- If your device doesn’t reboot automatically, type the following command in as well :
You should now have a device with an unlocked bootloader. You may now restore all of your backups since everything on your device has been wiped during the process. What’s next? Browse through our website’s OnePlus 5T archives to not only root the device, but install some custom ROMs as well. If you had any issues in following our guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5T, then feel free to hit us in the comments section below.