Launched back in September 2013, Xiaomi Mi 3 is a mid-range smartphone from the Chinese manufacturer Xiaomi. It was released with Android 4.4 KitKat however, you will be surprised to hear that now you can update your Xiaomi Mi 3 devices to the latest Android 8.0 Oreo. Before you confused this announcement with the official update, let us make clear that Xiaomi isn’t the one rolling out the update. In fact, there isn’t any update but the ROM which you can install to enjoy the perks of Android Oreo. All this became possible due to the efforts of a senior member at XDA forums, vasishath. The renowned member is known for his works on the Xiaomi devices and now has managed to create a ROM featuring the Android Oreo. For your ease, we have come up with instructions to help you update Xiaomi Mi 3 to Android Oreo.
Vasishath‘s AOSP ROM is based on Android open source project and basically refers to unmodified ROM’s or code from Google. Xiaomi Mi 3 was released with a 5-inch touchscreen display, 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 8274AB processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB of internal storage and a 3050mAh non-removable battery. However, by installing Custom ROM‘s like AOSP you can not only enjoy the features of latest OS but also improve the performance of your Xiaomi Mi 3. You can update Xiaomi Mi 3 to Android Oreo, however, there are few things you will have to do before you go for the update.
You Might Like;
- Install Carbon ROM On Xiaomi Mi 5 [Custom ROM]
- Install Nemesis ROM on Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus
- Install RENOVATE ICE on Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus [Custom ROM]
In this detailed guide, we have provided the instructions as well as the download links so that you won’t have to look around for things. Let’s get to the instructions and update Xiaomi Mi 3 to Android Oreo without further ado.
INSTALLING CUSTOM ROM IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER. IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, ANDROIDODEX OR THE DEVELOPER WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Your device must have an Unlocked Bootloader. (Here’s how you can unlock the bootloader).
- Head over to the link and Download Android USB Drivers.
- Use the link to setup ADB or Fastboot tool on your PC.→ Link
- Make sure to Backup your Data as the mentioned process will wipe the data.
- Charge your device to at least 60%.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- AOSP ROM → Download (copy it to SD Card)
- GApps Package → Download
- TWRP Recovery → Download (rename it to twrp.img)
Update Xiaomi Mi 3 to Android Oreo using AOSP ROM
- Connect your Xiaomi Mi 3 device with the computer via a USB Cable.
- Go to the directory where you have Fastboot and ADB installed and type cmd in the address bar to open the command prompt.
- In the command window type the following command and press Enter;
- adb reboot bootloader
- It will boot the device into bootloader mode.
- Once your phone is in bootloader mode, simply execute the following command;
- fastboot boot twrp.img
- Above command will install the twrp recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 3.
- Next, turn Off your Xiaomi Mi 3.
- Press and hold Power + Volume UP + Home buttons to boot your device into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, select Wipe > Advance Wipe, select everything except SD card and wipe.
- Navigate back to the main menu and select Install.
- Locate the AOSP file you downloaded, select it and install.
- When the installation completes, tap on Reboot > System.
- That’s it.
If you have queries regarding the method, ask us in the comments.