It’s been few days since Google has released the latest version of its Android operating system, Android 8.0 Oreo. Google’s Pixel and Nexus devices were the first to run the Android Oreo and it’s a matter of days other manufacturers will start rolling out the updates. If you haven’t received the update on you Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and Note 3 Pro yet, we have a way to save you from all the waiting. Since Android is open in nature and anyone can develop his own version of it, XDA member jhenrique09 has developed a ROM which lets you enjoy the latest Android Oreo features. In this guide, we have put together the necessary instructions as well as the links to jhenrique09‘s ROM and will help you update Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 & Note 3 Pro to Android Oreo.
Android 8.0 Oreo comes packed with a lot of amazing features including a picture in picture mode, notification badges for app icons, lock-screen shortcuts, and several background optimizations. As of jhenrique09s custom ROM, it is based on AOSP which means, instead of MIUI it will come with stock Android. Even though the ROM is still in the development stage but you can enjoy the cons. Since it has stock Android running there will be minimum bloatware or unnecessary features. For all the Android enthusiasts who can’t wait, they can now update Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 & Note 3 Pro to Android Oreo.
- Update Xiaomi Mi 3 to Android Oreo using AOSP ROM
- Install Android Oreo on Xiaomi Mi 4 via AOSP ROM
- Root Google Pixel XL Running Android Oreo [Guide]
While proceeding with the instructions you must know that custom ROM’s can block some of the apps such as Netflix. Also, the ROM is in development but if you are good with that and want to update Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 & Note 3 Pro to Android Oreo, start with the method without further ado.
Installing a Custom ROM IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND A SLIGHT MISTAKE COULD BRICK YOUR DEVICE.
IN CASE OF ANY MISHAP, ANDROIDODEX OR THE DEVELOPER WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Make sure the bootloader of your device is unlocked. If not use this guide.
- You must have Custom Recovery such as TWRP installed. Use this guide to install TWRP Recovery.
- Create a backup of your data including pictures, contacts, and files.
- Charge the device to at least 60%.
- Head over to the link and Download Android USB Drivers.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. To do so;
- Navigate to Settings > About Device.
- Tap the number 7 times. It will enable developer options.
- Head back to Settings > Developer Options.
- Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging to enable.
- AOSP 8.0 Unofficial Port for Redmi Note 3 and Note 3 Pro [Kenzo/Kate].→ Download
How to Update Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 & Note 3 Pro to Android Oreo
We assume that you have the TWRP Recovery installed on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 or Note 3 Pro device. If so, proceed with the instructions.
- First, move the downloaded ROM file to the internal storage of your device.
- Now turn your device Off and boot it into recovery mode.
- Press and hold Power + Volume Up keys for few seconds.
- When the Mi logo appears, let go of the keys.
- In recovery mode, tap on Wipe and select Wipe Data > Cache And Dalvik Cache via recovery.
- After wiping the data, navigate back to main menu and tap on Install.
- Select the ROM file you copied in the internal storage and initiate installation by swiping to right.
- After flashing, reboot the device by tapping on Reboot > System.
- That’s it.
In case you want to interact with the developer, here’s a Link. Regarding the method, if you have questions, let us know via comments.